What Is YouTube Shorts?
YouTube Shorts is the platform’s response to popular short-form video platforms like Instagram Reels and TikTok. It provides a new avenue for creating concise video content and enhancing your social media marketing endeavors.
In this blog post, we’ll delve into the essence of this new strategy and guide you on how to utilize it to elevate your video marketing outcomes.
- Understanding YouTube Shorts
- Crafting YouTube Shorts
- Uploading Shorts on YouTube
- Monetizing Your Videos
- Collaborating with a Video Marketing Company
Let’s get started!
Unpacking YouTube Shorts
While TikTok currently reigns supreme in short-form videos, few are aware that YouTube’s initial content format was also short-form. The platform’s inaugural video, “Me at the Zoo,” uploaded on April 23, 2005, was just 18 seconds long. YouTube Shorts aims to revisit these origins.
So, what exactly are YouTube Shorts? They are vertical, short-form videos, limited to 60 seconds in length at most. They are designed to be user-friendly and facilitate connections with a broader audience. Notably, the aspect ratio of YouTube Shorts is optimized for mobile devices, where the majority of your target audience resides.
Creating YouTube Shorts
The process of crafting YouTube Shorts can be accomplished directly on your mobile device. Regardless of your expertise in video marketing, you now have a streamlined method for producing engaging, impactful videos.
YouTube Shorts offers a set of user-friendly video creation tools, suitable for both novices and seasoned creators. These tools enable you to capture and edit videos efficiently.
Moreover, you can record videos using third-party tools and subsequently upload them to the platform. This means you can create content on any device and seamlessly integrate it with the YouTube app.
Key features of YouTube Shorts include:
- A distinct viewing experience separate from regular videos
- Multi-segment camera for stringing together multiple clips
- Video speed playback controls
- Option to incorporate music
- Timers for hands-free recording
- Ability to extract audio from eligible YouTube videos and Shorts
- Text feature for customizable placement within the timeline
YouTube Shorts was introduced in beta in India in September 2020 and later rolled out in the U.S. in March of the following year. Since then, it has expanded to the U.K. and 26 other countries worldwide. As of July 2021, YouTube Shorts is accessible in over 100 countries globally.
Why Embrace YouTube Shorts Now
YouTube Shorts and its features are designed to engage your audience effectively. It not only offers a fresh way to market and promote your content but also presents unique advantages:
- Access to YouTube’s vast user base of two billion individuals.
- Opportunity to earn up to $10,000 monthly, courtesy of the $100 million YouTube Shorts Fund allocated by the company until 2022.
- Positive outlook for short-form video content on YouTube, with a staggering 6.5 billion daily views.
Concerns have been raised about potential negative impacts on regular videos due to Shorts. YouTube executives have clarified that Shorts caters to a distinct audience, and subscribers favoring long-form content will not receive notifications for Shorts.
Monetizing YouTube Shorts
Regarding monetization, the primary avenue for YouTube Shorts creators is currently the YouTube Shorts Fund. The future payment structure after the fund is exhausted remains uncertain. The primary ways to monetize on YouTube include:
- YouTube Partner Program: This entails revenue sharing from advertisements displayed on your videos.
- Sponsored Content: Brands pay influencers for creating content on their behalf.
Given the unique duration of short-form videos, the traditional YouTube Partner Program may not be as applicable. Presently, anyone can participate in the fund by creating and uploading short videos on the platform.
Qualifying for the YouTube Shorts Fund
Amy Singer, YouTube’s Director of Global Partnership Enablement, has stated that creators with the highest engagement levels will be approached. The more views and engagement your shorts accumulate, the more likely you are to receive compensation. This means they’re seeking out the top-performing shorts on YouTube.
Each month, the performance of your shorts will be assessed, and rewards will be distributed accordingly. This implies that creators can earn anywhere from $100 to $10,000 monthly from the fund—a compelling incentive to create exceptional short videos on YouTube.
To be eligible for fund participation, creators must meet the following criteria:
- Enrollment in either the YouTube Partner Program or a Multi-Channel Network.
- Upload at least one short video every 180 days.
- Adherence to YouTube’s monetization policies, copyright regulations, and community guidelines.
- Reside in the U.S., India, Brazil, Japan, Indonesia, Nigeria, Mexico, South Africa, Russia, or the U.K. Other countries may be added in the future.
- Minimum age of 13 (with a parent featured if a minor).
- Exclusively upload original content—no reused or repurposed videos.
Uploading Shorts on YouTube
YouTube has streamlined the process for creators, making it accessible even to those without extensive video marketing experience. However, there are certain requirements to be aware of:
- Videos must be 60 seconds or less in duration.
- You can create a seamless video or divide it into several 15-second segments (the minimum size for YouTube Shorts).
- Utilize a vertical orientation.
- You can choose from YouTube’s audio library or incorporate audio from other shorts.
These guidelines apply to individual creators as well as video marketing companies handling social media brand management. If you’re new to this, consider consulting a YouTube marketing agency to expedite your progress. Insights from a video marketing expert can be invaluable.
Once you’ve familiarized yourself with the requirements, you can begin uploading videos through the YouTube app. Simply tap the create button, located at the bottom center of the screen within the app. Alternatively, you can find it at the top right corner of YouTube’s homepage on your browser. From there, you can upload previously recorded shorts or record new ones on the spot.
Recording YouTube Shorts
For those without pre-recorded short videos, here’s a step-by-step guide to creating the best short YouTube videos:
- Open the YouTube app on your phone and tap the create button.
- Tap the create button.
- Select “Create a Short.”
- Grant the app access to your microphone and camera.
- The recording interface appears; adjust the video’s length to your preference (default is 15 seconds).
- If desired, tap “Timer” to record with a timer.
- Apply any desired filters by tapping “Filters.”
- To start recording, tap “Record.” Tap again to stop.
The Undo and Redo buttons enable you to edit video segments, while the checkmark button at the bottom allows you to add text and music. After completing all your edits and enhancements, input a title for your video. Finally, tap “Upload” to share your short video.
Further YouTube Shorts Best Practices
Now that you’re acquainted with the process of uploading shorts on YouTube, here are some additional tips for creating outstanding short YouTube videos:
- Incorporate a #shorts hashtag in the title to optimize visibility, as YouTube uses it for short video promotion.
- Place extra emphasis on making the initial moments of your shorts highly engaging.
- Ensure the YouTube Shorts aspect ratio is set to 9:16, optimal for mobile devices.
- Keep your content concise; avoid prolonged focus on a single topic.
- Vary your YouTube Shorts size for videos ranging from 15 to 60 seconds; each caters to a different audience.
- Factor in the looping nature of shorts during playback; consider replay value.
- Infuse trending songs, events, and viral content to keep your content current.
- Explore insights and recommendations from the official YouTube Creators Channel.
- Foster authenticity by incorporating behind-the-scenes footage and your own voice.
- Stay attuned to trends within the YouTube Shorts community for inspiration.
- Consider collaborating with a video marketing company for expert guidance.
Leveraging a YouTube Marketing Agency
While crafting short videos is straightforward, consistently producing viral content is a different challenge. This is where a video marketing agency can play a crucial role. Engaging YouTube video marketing services can significantly enhance your monetization efforts.
Leadshouse, a YouTube marketing agency with over 15 years of experience, excels in assisting clients in creating viral content. We adopt a comprehensive approach to delivering top-notch video content.
Our results-driven YouTube video marketing services equip clients with the knowledge and skills to create YouTube shorts, monetize their content, and streamline their video production process.